With the current water restrictions in place, summer is a great time in Sydney to get a new lawn established. The current drought approved watering plan combined with the active sun will help the grass settle quickly.
Don’t wait until autumn, when the weather gets colder, to buy your new turf! Take advantage of the sunny season to make sure that your lawn gets the right amount of water and light to settle and fully grow to its full potential.
Sydney Lawn and Turf can supply turf to you and help you maintain a lush green lawn despite the current circumstances.
Why should you install turf now?
- Water restrictions takes new turf into consideration with a four-week watering plan.
- You can apply for a further water exemption if grass has not established after four weeks.
- You can take advantage of the warm and sunny season.
Water restrictions for lawns and gardens
Even with the new water restrictions, you can still maintain a fresh new lawn while being mindful of the drought. Here are things you can and can’t do to your lawn:
Allowed watering methods for established turf
- Watering can or bucket (before 10am or after 4pm)
- Drip irrigation system or smart watering systems for 15 minutes a day (before 10am or after 4pm)
Turf NSW has negotiated an exemption with Sydney Water that allows customers to water their newly laid turf during the first four weeks of purchase. View the four-week water plan below.
There has been a four-week watering plan approved by Sydney Water, allowing new-turf the chance to be established in the struggling heat. It is important to note this is ONLY applied during the first four-weeks of buying new turf.
Only during this four-week period can a hand-held hose with a fitted trigger nozzle be used to water a lawn of any size. Alternatively, you can also use a sprinkler and watering system but ONLY if you have a continuous area of new turf that is larger than 30m2.
- • Week 1: In the first week you can water your turf up to three times a day for up to 30 minutes each time at any time of the day.
- • Week 2 & 3: You can only water your lawn for a maximum of two times a day for a maximum of 15 minutes each time. This can only be done before 10am or after 4pm.
- • Week 4: In the fourth week, you can only water your lawn once a day for only three days that week. It can only be done before 10am or after 4pm for a maximum of 30 minute.
When you purchase with Sydney Lawn and Turf, you can possibly gain a further exemption with the approval of Sydney Water if the turf has not been established after the first four weeks. Here’s how you can apply for it:
New lawn owners can apply for an additional exemption if their lawn has not been established after the approved four-week water plan.
You can email requests here.
Details you’ll need for the exemption:
- - Reason for further watering
- - Size of the turf
- - Address where turf has been laid
- - Your name and contact details
For further information on level 2 water restrictions, contact Sydney Water or visit their website for more information. Alternatively, you can give our friendly staff a call on 1800 458 859 to discuss water restrictions or to order your new turf.